Sunday 3 July 2011

Thing 3 - My personal brand

I've not had much of a chance these last few days to think about my personal brand. It's peak time in the garden with the soft fruit, cabbages and cauliflower. Plenty of blackcurrant ice cream and strawberry cheese cake to make.....and eat.

On hindsight, I should have thought about my blog first before putting fingers to keyboard and thought about my online image and how I'm presenting myself to the outside world. I think I was just concerned about doing a blog as this was all new to me but it's now becoming more evident that you need to think about how to portray yourself or even "advertise" yourself. Thankfully, this is my only online presence at the moment. Looking at the other comments about branding, we are either all very "English" and are uncomfortable with the concept of branding ourselves or we go all out for it and have a very strong personality!

As you can probably gather, I didn't plan my blog but I quite like my black background and white lettering. I think the 1980's goth punk is coming out in me with the days of black clothes, dry ice and Sisters of Mercy. I scarily saw an advert for a 30th anniversary gig for Sisters of Mercy recently and felt very old. I would like to add some images, particularly try and find one that I could use consistently, but have not yet worked out how to do this.

I like the idea of bringing together the professional and personal. I think I'm getting more comfortable in blogging about things in general and not just work so I think I would continue to do that. I like how some blogs list the books they are currently reading or music they are currently listening to. In my case - Barbara Kingsolver - The lacuna and Portishead - Third.

According to google, I'm a farmer's wife, an actress (apparently one of my films is called Naughty Marietta), I'm dead and there's an online orbituary telling the world how kind and unselfish I was, I'm a hairdresser/beauty therapist, a sculptress and a sumo wrestler and can be seen in action on U-Tube! Sometimes I even put Eliza in front of my name and do abit of country singing and even appear on Jools Holland. In my spare time, I'm a Librarian and appear on page 14 with a conference report for CILIP Libraries Change Lives 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment