Saturday 16 July 2011

Thing 4 continued! - RSS Feeds

When will Thing 4 end I ask myself forgetting that I've been easily distracted? I went in my blog last night to work on Thing 4 and to my horror noticed that my last post was full of spelling mistakes. I knew I was tired but..... Liberary? Sevices? After giving my blog a good spell check, I had a light bulb moment and remembered how to change the font as I had thought the font was far too small on my blog. So after playing around with that for a while and sending a few tweets, I remembered the reason why I was on my blog.....RSS Feeds.

I've set up an RSS feed for the CPD blogs and participants and had a look at the recommended list and set a few feeds for these too. Phil Bradley then planted the idea of setting up an RSS Feed for the BBC News which I thought was a good idea. I then thought about all of the other sites - professional and leisure - I regularly look at and decided to work through those. I then got distracted again and started adding other gadgets to my google page, totally forgetting about Pushnote.

I got to admit I thought RSS Feeds was just the automatic emails that came to me on a regular basis from Freeprint, Internet Librarian, Information Today Europe, CILIP, ICan and National Autistic Society, so accessing news from your Reader was something new. It's certainly a quicker way of checking your favourite sites for updates and probably better than getting hundreds of emails which you ignore for later as you're too busy and then never get round to reading it.

I can also see why RSS Feeds is a desirable requirement for library systems to let readers know what new books have been added to the catalogue in their favourite subject or author.

No comments:

Post a Comment