Saturday 23 July 2011

Thing 7 - Networking face-to-face

I know I'm doing Thing 7 before Thing 6 but I thought I'll get the easiest Thing of the 2 done first as I've got alot to say on this one. I already hear the sound of the mouse as people quickly escape this blog.

I managed to go to one of the face-to-face networking events held last week. I was quite fortunate that one of my work colleagues who is also doing the 23 steps arranged a meet in The Brewery Tap in Peterborough - a pub that sells real ales and Thai food - what's there not to be liked! Seven hardy souls turned up and they weren't all from the RNIB so I can call that proper networking - 4 RNIB staff, one school librarian, one health librarian and one college librarian - so a good mix.

I'm a member of CILIP and have been a member since I started my Postgraduate course back in em......1992, better known as The Library Association in those days. My Special Interest groups are Community Services Group (continuous) and Career Development (from this year). I was a member of COFHE for a number of years until I realised that I hadn't received any mailings for quite a few years, time for a change. I also fall under the East Midlands Branch of CILIP.

I've become more actively involved in CILIP acivities as, with a lot of frontline library jobs, there is not much opportunity to develop in the job itself, so I'm always looking to gain knowledge and improve skills further afield. I also think I'm in danger of getting too wrapped up with just issues to do with visual impairment so networking is a good reminder of the wider library world. Luckily, since RNIB merged with National Library for the Blind, we have had new Library Management who have actively encouraged us to get involve with CILIP. However, like I expect with most library staff today, it can be difficult sometimes to get time off because of staffing issues and we have a busy telephone with a lot of needy customers to look after! I had also identified in my Chartership Report that networking and professional involvement in CILIP was something I needed to improve on so I feel that I'm addressing one weakness.

I've been to a few East Midlands events including a couple of AGMs which had guest speakers from CILIP, visits including Lincoln Cathedral Library and Lord Tennyson Library and a workshop on portfolios and revalidation. I'm hoping that they will run a workshop on reflective writing this year. It's quite good to get away for the day and network with Librarians from such a wide field and different professional levels. It's also nice to see familiar faces when you go to an event, networking becomes easier each time you go to something.

I've also started to become involve with the CSG. After winning a place at the Libraries Change Lives Awards in 2010 and writing an article about the event, I decided to take the plunge and volunteer to go on the Committee. After being a member for so long with this group, I decided it was time that I should contribute something back. I've only been to 3 meetings so far, the first one was very daunting walking into the room for the first time though felt better once I had an opportunity to contribute to the conversation! The second meeting also combined the annual AGM and a workshop - Public Libraries and Social Justice - which again opened my eyes to the wider world of public libraries and gave me an oportunity to meet some interesting people who were involved in some inspirational projects in their libraries. Networking also gives me the chance to promote the RNIB and the library services they offer to Public Librarians. I was also introduced to Wikireadia at http://www.wikireadia.org.uk/ which is a really useful website used by quite a few of the participants there. I've volunteered myself to help out with running a course at the end of the year which will be good experience. I've also contributed an article on MANIL Make a Noise in Libraries fortnight to the CSG Newsletter earlier this year. I'm also in the process of putting together an article for the CSG Website on Why I decided to join the CSG Committee. I'm hoping that the longer I'm on the Committee and the more background knowledge I pick up about the workings of the group, the more involved I will become and be comfortable in volunteering for more things.

I did have a quick look at some of the other suggested library organisations including IFLA and SLA. The online videos on the SLA looked interesting but this may be something to consider for the future, money depending! I also had a look at The Library Society of the World but I think the informal ethos led to a too informal and messy website which didn't really grab my attention. It probably may be fun to join if you had more time on your hands to join in the debates but I'm usually in a hurry and want to find information easily.

No comments:

Post a Comment