Friday 9 September 2011

Thing 16 Advocacy

I haven't had too much experience of advocacy as far as libraries are concerned, my experience has been more to do with Autism - particularly with writing letters to my local MP and Council. The nearest thing I've come to in advocating our Services is when we went into consultation last year and our Team worked together to put forward our arguments in why we shouldn't have any cuts in our Staff and the detrimental effects that this would have to the Service and the users. I find it difficult to differentiate between advocating our services and promoting our services.

I follow Voices for the library on twitter and plan to contact them and get involved in their campaigns. I did visit one of my local libraries one Saturday when there was suppose to have been various protests going on against the cuts with the hope that there may be a few people holding banners at the door but unfortunately it was business as normal in rural Lincolnshire.

The only work I've had published so far has been this blog and some articles in library-related publications, particularly the CSG Quarterly Newsletter. I'm planning to contribute to the East Midlands Branch Newsletter and the 2 wikis - Library Day in the Life project and Library Routes Project in the near future as these are things that I can realistically do. It's important to publish in non-library publications though else I'm just writing to an already converted audience. I'm going to have to put a bit more thought into this.

No comments:

Post a Comment