Thursday 25 August 2011

Thing 13 - Google docs, Wikis and Dropbox

Just spent a tiring day spending loadsa money in Nottingham - sadly not for me but for my young son. He's come back with bags full of tops and jeans though we had a strange encounter in BHS where one of the assistant seemed miffed that I took him in the ladies changing rooms to try his clothes on. I told her that he was abit young to go in the men's on his own but she said I should have taken him in there. Thought it would have been more embarrasing for the men with me being there than for the women with my son being in the women's changing room.

Back to the subject of Thing 13, File sharing is often a problem with our team as we are on split sites - Peterborough and Stockport. Our biggest problem is book selection where we work from spreadsheets and we end up having to email them to each other quite a few times each month. Joint projects also cause problems too. Google docs and Dropbox may help with this. I couldn't actually get Dropbox to download on my computer so didn't get too far with this.

I use wikipedia quite a bit though wary of the accuracy of the content there. I also find wikireadia useful. I hadn't heard of Library Day in the Life Project before and spent some time looking at this. I may contribute in the next round (January 2012). I could put a reminder on my Google Calendar! I also looked at the Library Routes Project, again, this was new to me. I may even contribute my Thing 10 from my CPD23 to this wiki in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment