Sunday 19 February 2012

Getting Rid of Matthew and Mobile Libraries - Feb 13th-17th 2012

It’s been an easier week this week – probably because I was in for 3 days only. Monday and Tuesday were both intense but Wednesday was quieter and I managed to break up with a clear conscience. I spent Tuesday evening catching up with the recent Booksellers and the latest CILIP Update. It all made depressing reading with all the news of public library closures, libraries having to be run by volunteers to survive and general cutbacks to public spending on libraries. My own county Lincolnshire is monitoring mobile library use, an essential you would have thought with Lincolnshire being a large rural county with poor public transport to the towns. I sometimes wonder if there was any call for a mobile library to run in the evenings as there are a lot of people commuting to work like myself and finding that the libraries close too early. The mobile library could run reading groups and work with colleges running evening classes and adult literacy programmes.

There was also an interesting article by John Pateman in the Bookseller who makes the point that no other professions such as architects and accountants would accept volunteers to do their job for them. There was also a useful article in the Update which caught my attention about #UK LibChat – a live fortnightly discussion held on Twitter for library and information professionals to discuss cutting edge issues and to network on "http://uklibchat.wordpress.com". I had come across this before when I was doing the 23 steps and had put to follow an online chat or similar as one of my aims this year. This article was a good reminder for me. The biggest problem would be the start time of 6.30 as I’m rarely home by that time.

I also got caught up with new titles coming out in the next couple of months and what was doing well in the various charts knowing that half of these titles will be snapped up by the commercial publishers, some will end up with bad reviews while others will be difficult to transcribe into alternative format. I’m still trying to visualise how the Bradshaw’s Railway Guide will translate into Daisy or Braille if it was selected as I know that it would actually be very popular with the readers. A trip to Waterstones is on order here. I need to have a look at a print copy and see what it looks like.

It was also that time of the month – the circulation of the month’s customer requests – and a real mixture we had too! I don’t know if it was just the time of the year but there was a lot of true crime, misery memoirs and gritty crime of the “Martina Cole” variety – Kimberley Chambers and Jessie Keane are the 2 authors in demand this month. In amongst all of this “Darkness”, we had Hugh Walpole, Alan Partridge’s autobiography, several requests bizarrely asking for Jane Fallon’s Getting Rid of Matthew and even more weirder 2 customers asking for Jim Corbett who writes a lot about hunting tigers etc in India in the time of the Raj!

I attended an HTML Refreshers Course on Wednesday, ran by the RNIB. It was supposed to be 3 hours but lasted just 1 and ½ hours. It was a good reminder as I had forgotten the most basic codes. We had a go at coding pages and spotting errors and then covered a few extras such as how to incorporate images into pages. Most of the class used html on a regular basis so we went at quite a pace. My knowledge is well over 10 years old but I felt I kept up with them. It’s always good to try and refresh old skills as well as learning new ones.

In between trying to clear the garden for Spring, I’ve been getting to grips with Constant Contact, a bit worried though that I may accidently send out a test email to CSG members. The manual so far makes sense though I would be happier once I’ve had a go with it. The notes regarding links definitely need a good practice before being let loose on a newsletter.

No comments:

Post a Comment